Pages 1

Monday, November 13, 2006

The Reward

Some people say they could never do what I do, others would never want to do what I do and some days, I must admit, are harder than others. However, there are so many treasures to be found in the hours I spend with my boys.

I remember the first time I saw Tate after having Britton. He came bounding into the hospital room, eyes wide, wearing his "I'm the Big Brother" t-shirt. I thought my heart would stop right then. There was my baby, who wasn't my baby anymore. He looked at me, waiting to see how he should react to me in a hospital bed. I held out my arms and my mom placed him on the bed with me. It was such a sweet moment but sad too. I hugged him and kissed him and told them I had missed him. Then I asked him if he would like to see his little brother. He knew how to say "Baby Bit". I said yes, "Baby Brit."

From the second Tate saw Brit, he was so happy and excited- he has never had a jealous moment when it comes to his little brother. The pictures below are of big and little brother meeting each other for the first time...


Here he is...Tate, meet Brit.


Checking out the little guy.


Hey..I think I kinda like him.

I recall those sweet moments in January and then flash forward a few months after that when Brit begins to laugh when Tate makes funny noises. Then another time after that they "wrestle" on the floor. And then today, which is the reason I bagan this post. Brit had pulled up in his crib, like he has done before and Tate squeals in delight- "BITSY IS STANDING UP, BITSY IS STANDING UP!!!!" He claps and laughs and jumps onto the railing of the crib to congratulate his little brother on his latest feat. My heart almost popped out of my chest with happiness... There is nothing in the world like the feeling I get when I see the two of them interacting. It is the sweetest reward for diapers times 2, three straight years of uninterrupted sleep, 24 months of nursing (with only a 7 month break in between), pregnant body, post baby body, pregnant body, post baby body again...consecutive.

There were several naysayers that did not hesitate to warn me about raising two kids so close in age but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The struggles have been worth the reward.






THESE moments are why I stay at home with my boys.

1 comment:

Tori said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. It gives me much inspiration for the upcoming months.