Pages 1

Thursday, September 23, 2010

September Mourn

OK, so I am sure that wasn't exactly the way Neil Diamond intended it when he penned the lyrics to his 1986 hit, but as I was packing away all of my summer fashions- white pants, white shoes, sun dresses, swimsuits, summer purses and accessories, I found it surprisingly difficult to pack away these:




My beloved white sunglasses.  I think I bought them at TJ Maxx or maybe Marshall's for like, 9 bucks...but oh, they are worth so much more than that to me.  Whenever I put them on a feel young, fashionable and...well almost frisky!  I can't explain why they have this effect on me but they do.  As I pack them away, I feel like I am packing a part of me that has been buried beneath breastfeeding, booty-wiping, sippy cup filling, boo boo kissing and all the other makings of motherhood for the past 6 and 1/2 years.  I really can be fun, spontaneous and full of laughter...I promise.  So, as I pack these away I am going to make an effort to never lose myself again...to be the "me" that I truly am and not just the "me" that I think I am supposed to be.  Oh, and I have an appointment with one of my besties to go shopping tomorrow...TJ Maxx and Marshall's is definitely on the "hit list".  Here's hoping I'll come home with a little (new) piece of me!

"Look at what you've done

Why, you've become a grown-up girl"
 
-September Morn, Neil Diamond

3 comments:

Garretts said...

hooray for shopping trips. hoping to do the same tomorrow. can't wait to see what treasures you find!

Sarah said...

Merideth, I wanted white sunglasses so bad this summer. I was shopping with my sis in law Amy and she just didn't like them on me so I didn't get them. I have regretted it several times! And, anytime you need a TJ Maxx or Marshalls partner, call me! They're my faves!

Mendy said...

Love your blog! I am home sick today and indulging in all the internet browsing I don't usually have time to do. Just caught myself up on your posts. All 3 of your kiddos are precious!! Hope to see y'all soon!

(Can totally relate to the white sunglasses. Mine was a pair of peep toe heels. Very non mommyish.)