Pages 1

Friday, March 06, 2009

A great day to D.E.A.R.

This morning was my first Friday off with my new part time schedule. I thought I'd be a "fun mom" and not make Tate go to school, after all- its only Pre-K. We got up at 7AM and by 8:30 I remembered the final straw that helped me convince myself to go back to work- the incessant FIGHTING between my sons! By 9AM someone had gotten scratched, gotten a Hot Wheel thrown at them, stolen someones race track and broke someones Power Ranger. I was determined not to let my good intentions get completely obliterated, so I instituted our very first D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read).

I told each of them to pick out a book , take it to their bed and to quietly read. This command was met with sounds of agony and whining but eventually they both found a book and got in bed. I was prepared for 5 minutes of peace, but it turned into almost 30! I know that doesn't sounds like a lot of time, but it was 30 minutes of heaven- enough for me to hear myself think as I got everything ready for us to leave for all of our errands.

My boys will be experiencing many, many more DEAR moments in their lifetime!!

1 comment:

Mendy said...

Way to go!! What a wonderful use of time - intellectual stimulation for the boys and finding your zen time for mommy.