Pages 1

Sunday, November 16, 2008

I have a friend...

I have a friend who cries every time she talks about her children. She lives her life putting her kids in front of herself. She makes sure her daughter has Pumpkin Parties at school and packs the healthiest lunch I've ever seen for her children. I have a friend who never lets you cry alone. Empathetic.

I have a friend who's made dinner for my family when I've been sick. Who's taken my children when I've been weary and who unselfishly cheers on my every success. I have a friend who is brave and confident and I recently saw her become a mother for the very first time. I've spent my whole life wondering what a "friend" is...she is the definition of this kind of unselfish devotion. Devoted.

I have a friend who credits me with starting a ministry for young mothers but without her, none of it would have been possible. The day I met her she was caring for someone else's child on a daily basis for free. She has three children of her own. This friend is the sister I always wanted. She can take truth and honesty even when it hurts- and I take it just as well from her. This friend is in unimaginable pain right now and my heart feels like someone has a death grip on it- oh how I grieve for her. My friend will use this for God's glory- His alone. Magnificent.

I have a friend who lights up a room when she enters it. She spends her life much like I do, trying to balance life and work and motherhood. I tell you that there is no one I would rather leave my child with on his first day of preschool than her. She is genuine and loving and precious to me and all who know her. Genuine.

I have a friend who shys away from the spotlight. She is calm and funny and knows more about college football than I could ever hope to. She's the reliable one- the one that will always be there, no matter what. She knows you for a minute a day or a year or more and her devotion is the same. She has a quietness about her and a heart that I long to know better. Selfless.

I have a friend who would give you not just the shirt off of her back, but the earrings and the shoes to match. She's thoughtful and listens and catches the details of you that no one else will. She's is as reliable as sunset. Her heart is still mending from almost a year's worth of hurt- she heals by helping others. She is as neat and clean as I am messy, yet she'll still ride in my car and call me a friend. Loyal.

I have a new friend that has a contagious laugh. She is warm and kind and seems to be all about the fun in life even though she's had her share of pain. She's light and hilarious and shares her heart freely. Honest.

...oh how much fun was that? I've got lots more friends to share with you but the minutes in my day that I get to devote to blogging are almost up. I'll write more later...

7 comments:

Garretts said...

I have a friend who is humble and extremely talented. She's an incredible mother and a hard worker. She has an incredible gift to make those around her feel special. Though I've known her just over a year, I can't remember a time when we weren't friends.

love ya girl!

MB Shaw said...

Well, I gotta say Laura, you completly caught me off guard with that one...thank you. Really, thank you.

Carolyn said...

What a sweet post! I know everyone of those friends and those around you think the same of you!

Anonymous said...

what a sweet tribute to your friends! I am so impressed w/ you girls who blog...and are good at it. Have a great week- Jenn Hill

MB Shaw said...

Jenn- I hope you realized which one was you!!

Anonymous said...

i went back and read it again and now...even more meaning. too sweet. I have a friend who fights tooth n' nail for her children to make sure they have the very best. She is dedicated & loving to her kids & hubby...as well as her friends. And she lets me shed some tears every time we talk about our children and them growing up... thanks, merideth. :-)

WILEY WINDOW said...

I just started this blogging thing... I should so be doing laundry but this is more fun! I read what you wrote about your friends- so sweet. I also have a friend who noteworthy: She is one of the warmest people who I have ever met. She is gifted with leadership and can balance 100 things at once. I love to hear her speak and especially pray! She is our problem solver and the ultimate Mom who makes everything better. Our glue that holds us all together! You are so special to us.