Pages 1

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

At about 7:30 am On Memorial Day, Derek and I were sipping our coffee out on the front porch leisurely enjoying the morning while the children played in the yard. It was the last time we'd so anything "leisurely" for the next seven days.

You see, my neighbor and Sorority Sister Audrey and her husband were out walking their dogs and strolling their son Cole. She came up to the porch and we exchanged pleasantries and then she asked me how the "land hunt" was going. I told her that Derek and I now know the Northern part Habersham County like the backs of our hands and while we'd found several lots that we liked- none were without fault.

My favorite so far had been a lot in Heyden Ridge- a 3 acre lot with a 180 degree mountain view. In fact, I just knew that is where I wanted to live. Well, when Derek and I talked about it over the course of three months, we came to the conclusion than a mountainous subdivision just wouldn't work for a 4-year old who loves to ride his bike. I digress.

So, Audrey asked us if we'd been into Grand Oaks Plantation? There was a wooded lot by a pond in there that she and Scott loved but the location is just too far away from Scott's work. So I said no, but we would have to check it out- she had us at "wooded and pond".

Audrey (did I mention she is a realtor) also mentioned that now would be a great time to put our house on the market because first time home buyers are still buying. Derek and I sort of laughed that off and said good bye.

Not 30 minutes after she left, I gave her a call and by the end of our conversation, Derek and I had decided to put our house on the market....by the following MONDAY! Needless to say, we have been working ourselves to the bone, day in and day out to get our house ready to show. In one weekend we mulched the yard, pressure washed the exterior of our home, painted all the interior walls, cleaned out closets, had a yard sale and threw out approx. 20 yard bags of trash/junk!

People who know our "Wedding in Week" and "Baby in no time" history, know that the Shaws don't do anything slow. So, here we are, living in our own "show home" with me chasing the kids with a broom in one hand and a duster in the other. The scent of Clorox permeates the air daily and all my knick knacks and useless kitchen tools are packed away. It has been pretty stressful knowing that our house could be shown at any time with only a few hours notice. My plan was to spend as much time outside with the kids as possible, but the heat has kept us inside the past few days.

So, I have no idea when or if the house will sell- if nothing has happened by the Fall, we will probably take it off the market and put it on again in the Spring.

Oh, and we have decided to purchase the lot that Audrey told us about in Grand Oaks. It is beautiful with a small creek in the back. We are just waiting on the Health Department to approve our septic site and footprint of our home.

1 comment:

Garretts said...

i totally just pictured you chasing tate and brit with the broom and duster...here's to hoping it cools off a bit so we can all go out!